Author
Roger_Whole
Poster
Added: Aug 15, 2012 11:24 pm
Hi - since Oron died I have been waiting to see what the most popular hosting site would be on here so I can pay a download subscription, and Rapidgator is looking to be the most popular replacement.

However, every time I click a Rapidgator link, I get this message:

"rapidgator is requesting 10 MB of disk space to store “dp” as a database on your disk."

What on earth does that mean? I'm certainly not going to allow access to my hard drive and this is causing me to distrust Rapidgator!

Has anyone else subscribed?

Many thanks

Roger
andylo
Godfather of Forumophilia
Added: Aug 16, 2012 12:08 am
My personal advice ... stay away from the Gator ... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Risky business ... even more risky than Oron was ...

Remember ...
JB Wannabe
Added: Aug 16, 2012 2:22 am
I've tried a few RG links and never saw that message. I say 'tried' because none of the downloads made it to completion. And one file was a mere 18MB!

Worst....Host....Ever!
Roger_Whole
Poster
Added: Aug 17, 2012 12:05 am
Many thanks for the advice, which I will most definitely heed!

Is there a hosting site you would recommend?

Thanks again

Rog
Roger_Whole
Poster
Added: Aug 17, 2012 5:26 pm
This is the pop-up I get every time I click a Rapidgator link on here:

screenshot
ricky84
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 18, 2012 3:43 am
Wow, I will not be paying premium for RG. You get the worst experience ever as a free user. Took me an hour just to get one file. RG is trickery, I think they make you miss the first two downloads on purpose. Plus, the site is filled with ads, everything you click gets a pop up. Wish Oron was back. Until there's a better site, I'll go back to streaming.
ckdk3
Godfather of Grandfather of Forumophilia
Added: Aug 18, 2012 12:53 pm
The best way to download from Rapidgator is using JDownloader!
With this download manager you will see just the captcha. Wink
And also is possible resume the download from where it stopped in case of error!
JB Wannabe
Added: Aug 18, 2012 3:52 pm
I downloaded a couple of files recently and both downloaded pretty fast with zero problems.

This message

screenshot

does not appear to be generated by RG. If you g00gle "allow this website to use space on your disk" you'll find all kinds of people having this problem with other sites, including gmail and twitter. It looks like it might be related to Safari.
Punisher78
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 18, 2012 7:11 pm
Rapidgator is pretty good but free member might have some difficulties and premium member got 15GV/Day limit Confused
alexxx4you
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 19, 2012 3:09 pm
Rapidgator is shitty.............

i vote for Filepost Smile
spdspk
Respected VIP club member
Added: Aug 20, 2012 7:40 am
Thanks all for this input as I have been contemplating bitshare or rapidgator.

Now it seems the best thing to do is wait!

SP
t-v-r
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 20, 2012 9:14 am
Damn this is not good news!

I have a load of stuff uploaded to gator.... I have always had a good experience with it even DL as a free user. Only 1mb DL speed but that's not too bad I think.

I use google chrome with adblocker so don't get any ads.
JB Wannabe
Added: Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm
spdspk wrote:
Thanks all for this input as I have been contemplating bitshare or rapidgator.

Now it seems the best thing to do is wait!

SP

My bitshare account was banned almost immediately. I don't think I posted more than a dozen times with it.

I was not a fan of RG and heavily criticized it repeatedly but I've had only a few problems with it lately. They might have added another server for my region or something.

What has really impressed me is that I can remote my RS links in bulk to RG. I think it's up to 200 at a time. And it's a pretty fast transfer. I moved an entire year of M3TM0dels into my RG account in about 12 minutes. Shocked

I do wish these hosts would allow registered people to try the host as a premium member. Maybe get free trial offer of 100-500MB to try out.
mrsnake
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm
I was about to signup at rapidgator then noticed they do not even have an ssl certificate on their site at all not even when collecting card details.
none of the othe rpayment methods work either.

I also tried bitshare and their paypal option doesn;t actually accept paypal, it forces either echeque or card payment, you cannot pay from your paypal account.
pevets666
I'm probably spamming
Added: Aug 26, 2012 11:51 am
I've also noticed that RGator doesn't appear to have SSL so I may try a pre-paid credit card.

I've tried a few tests as a free user and it's hit and miss whether it completes or not.
I'm UK based and used to get 3.85 to 4 Mbps down on RS and Oron premium accounts (30mg connection). Can any UK users comment on the RGator speeds please? Also are the servers European based?