In Re: the new format

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

Oh well. I'll get used to it.
who-ever
Good Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 12:43 am
liudnux wrote:
Dagobert1 wrote:
I am hoping this will not be my lasts posts here...

Why take so extreme measures... of course it is not nice when all of attaches are gone (maybe it would be possible to upload them to some hosting automatically and to change posts corresponding to that automatically, too, maybe it is not possible, I do not know, I am not a programmer). But this is a signal on new posts not to add attachments here and choose some external hosting.

Thanks for the updates Wink

I doubt that its a disk space issue, but it is a performance issue (I/O throughput, memory and/or processor). Many other phpBB boards do not implement the feature because of the performance hit it creates. And I don't think later versions of phpBB are any better in this respect.

Another issue is that some members, even moderators, were using the attachment feature to hide their links. GS may object to that; this is a public board - if you don't want the public (users without a login) to download your files then you should probably post on a private member only board or in the VIP Club.

I think the best one can hope for is that GS will grant a reasonable period for attachment users to rehost their files elsewhere, IMO expecting him to do that automagically is unreasonable and probably impractical. Remember he doesn't seek any contribution from users to pay for the cost of keeping the board going. Just because something is free to use doesn't mean its free to own and maintain.

EDIT : Some boards that provide a link to an independent picture hoster within the post message dialogue - ie a third button alongside Preview & Submit - you still have to copy & paste the BBcoded url into your post.

Pics-hosting will upload a picture from a url - so if one could get the url of the attached picture from FO then one could paste it into pics-hosting's upload from url dialogue. Maybe other picture hosters do this too.

w-e
niterider69
Very Respected Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 12:51 am
who-ever wrote:Quote:
Another issue is that some members, even moderators, were using the attachment feature to hide their links. GS may object to that; this is a public board - if you don't want the public (users without a login) to download your files then you should probably post on a private member only board or in the VIP Club.

I don't think this is the issue since you have to be a member and be logged in to see the attachments.

Quote:
I think the best one can hope for is that GS will grant a reasonable period for attachment users to rehost their files elsewhere, IMO expecting him to do that automagically is unreasonable and probably impractical. Remember he doesn't seek any contribution from users to pay for the cost of keeping the board going. Just because something is free to use doesn't mean its free to own and maintain.

In his post here: https://www.forumophilia.com/topic117507.html
he says attachments will be deleted in about 2 weeks.

Cool
who-ever
Good Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 1:13 am
niterider69 wrote:
who-ever wrote:Quote:

I don't think this is the issue since you have to be a member and be logged in to see the attachments.

In my opinion that is the issue

On another public board I am able to get some stats on who clicks my download links, in terms of members, VIP members and non members (people not logged in). About 60% of my downloads come from non-members - ie joe public. My download count at that venue is approaching 100k, so its a reasonable sample. If links are hidden from non members then, not only, will they not download your files; they will also "unfriend" the board!

niterider69 wrote:

In his post here: https://www.forumophilia.com/topic117507.html
he says attachments will be deleted in about 2 weeks.

Cool

Seems a bit short for big posters like Dagobert, cyborg (oops he's not posting any more, he lost his RS accounts) etc.

thanks w-e
nx
Respected Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 3:21 am
niterider69 wrote:
As for rapidshare I think what is happening is it is turning into a pay to download site, I haven't tried to download anything free since I have a premium account. Anyone know if the free download is still avavilable on rapidshare?

It's still working fine so far.
Di-Natali
Very Respected Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 1:45 pm
who-ever wrote:
If links are hidden from non members then, not only, will they not download your files; they will also "unfriend" the board!

What they don't see, they don't know.
It was a good why to protect links in the pic-section.

I say, life with it. It is a perfect timing to remove attachment,
now RS is changing it policy one's again.
Everyone should have his links removed from RS.
faytyler
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 01, 2010 6:53 pm
this is a good thing, the former format was kinda scattered and nauseating. Now it looks neat. good job for the overhaul!
Dagobert1
Retired Legend
Added: Jul 01, 2010 9:18 pm
Hey Ladies,
I still doing my posts for NON members...
...ok they have to be smart.

Even this post is also for NON members.
jacko1234
Poster
Added: Jul 01, 2010 9:34 pm
Gordar wrote:
I'd personally choose for :

Professional photo shoots
softcore
lesbian
boy-girl

Professional videos
softcore
lesbian
boy-girl

Amateur photo shoots
softcore
lesbian
boy-girl

Amateur videos
softcore
lesbian
boy-girl

Anime, Hentai, cartoons, etc

Stories

+1 for this, I find this muuuch better than how it is now (and better than it was before, too).
It seems pretty random the way it is now. Some sections that don't really match are now mixed together and others leave the user in confusion because they don't know where to post material (as Gordar explained)…
thezippo
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 02, 2010 4:46 pm
wish the owners of this board lots of succes in changing the structure
looking forward to the result
Gnork
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 02, 2010 5:16 pm
Let's wait for new changes. This has been a great forum.
Now that rapidshare is not worth it, what do you think will be the best sharing host?
Teenloco
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 02, 2010 7:12 pm
Very Happy You make me Very happy. Smile

Thanks for providing a Safe Place for us to go .... Cool
Shaman
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 02, 2010 8:25 pm
Thanks! All improvements are welcomed.
Layout and organizing starts to look lot better recently.
rocingersoll
I'm probably spamming
Added: Jul 06, 2010 6:27 am
just want to toss in an idea for those who put their links in pics. maybe use pics-h0sting dot. calm and hot link your pics. in fact the only way that site is allowed here is by hotlinking. sounds like a match made in cyber heaven (hell). Smile

Remember when hotlinking pics that we are using a size limit for pixels, 650 wide and 1300 high.
svinto

Ok thanks Svinto. 280 high is plenty anyway. Smile
mike=)).
VIP club member
Added: Jul 06, 2010 11:27 pm
who-ever wrote:
liudnux wrote:
Dagobert1 wrote:
I am hoping this will not be my lasts posts here...

Why take so extreme measures... of course it is not nice when all of attaches are gone (maybe it would be possible to upload them to some hosting automatically and to change posts corresponding to that automatically, too, maybe it is not possible, I do not know, I am not a programmer). But this is a signal on new posts not to add attachments here and choose some external hosting.

Thanks for the updates Wink

I doubt that its a disk space issue, but it is a performance issue (I/O throughput, memory and/or processor). Many other phpBB boards do not implement the feature because of the performance hit it creates. And I don't think later versions of phpBB are any better in this respect.

EDIT : Some boards that provide a link to an independent picture hoster within the post message dialogue - ie a third button alongside Preview & Submit - you still have to copy & paste the BBcoded url into your post.

Pics-hosting will upload a picture from a url - so if one could get the url of the attached picture from FO then one could paste it into pics-hosting's upload from url dialogue. Maybe other picture hosters do this too.

w-e

As a webmaster, I am convinced this is not a disk-space issue, but a traffic issue. Traffic to and from the database involved is probably one of the main reasons for extreme slowness and time-outs, and it costs a lot of money.

Due to the simultaneous demise of RS and upcoming holidays, I too have no time at all to rehost all of the material I have uploaded here. And as RS have also cancelled my previous account and deleted the files, that makes most of my posts redundant.

Suggestion... find an external freehost for the forumophilia links, and mass rename them.

mike =)).