When downloading RAR files, would you prefer the contents were highly compressed, taking less time to download, but more time to extract, or a larger file that extracts quickly?
Tightly packed
88%
Nice and loose
11%
Author
EvilJ
Godfather of Forumophilia
Added: Sep 22, 2005 10:02 am
Cruzing
Very Respected Poster
Added: Sep 22, 2005 10:22 am
http://rapidshare.de/

This is the link that you can upload your file too. then get the download link which will appear after it is finished.

edited:

Well, too answere the question correctly. it does not make a difference either way, me Mac can take it all. no quality loss. Smaller is faster, that is for the low end machines, Top end. I like the convenience of a one stop shop!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
markus1
Retired Legend
Added: Sep 22, 2005 1:17 pm
with larger files you would probably have less loss of quality.
Alp-boy
Respected Poster
Added: Sep 22, 2005 1:56 pm
markus1 wrote:
with larger files you would probably have less loss of quality.

Yeah, I agree with you, besides, how much Mb. can you save highly compressing the files?
Alp-boy
Respected Poster
Added: Sep 22, 2005 1:57 pm
Cruzing wrote:
Hope this answeres your question?

I think the question is oriented to get another kind of answers. Wink
StratusFear
I'm probably spamming
Added: Sep 28, 2005 3:29 pm
I guess the question is not about video encoding, but RAR compression... since compression of RAR / Zip or any other kind of compression is completely lossless after extracted, there is no loss of quality... but if we are talking about encoding, that´s a diferent question...

And besides, 100 mb of any RAR file takes less than 1 minute to uncompress, and certainly will take a lot of time to download, so i vote for SUPER MEGA COMPRESSION (though movies compress so little) Very Happy
Elmo
Respected VIP club member
Added: Sep 29, 2005 3:47 am
Since JPGs are already compressed, compression doesn't do very much at all. By putting a bunch of files in a RAR or a split RAR, you are just making uploading and downloading easier, but not really saving any space or bandwidth.

As an experiment, I just RARd a 102mb JPG. The RAR was 103mb when finished. Smile In the case of BMPs, TIFs and other larger formats, archiving is a great benefit.